Thandai, also known as sardai, is an Indian cool and refreshing drink prepared from milk, sugar, dry nuts, rose petals, saffron strands, almonds, fragrant spices, cardamom, etc. The term is itself derived from the word “thand” meaning cool. The thandai masala is first made from a paste of the various nuts and spices and then boiled with milk and rose or saffron.The refreshing drink is often served on the occasion of the festivals that occur during summer like Maha-Shivratri and Holi—perfect for the season.
The common variations of thandai are “Badaam and Nuts” Thandai and BhaangThandai which is very popular version.
Following is the recipe for making thandai:
- 4 cups full- fat milk(1/2), boiled and cooled
- Powdered sugar (1/4 cup)
- Freshly ground black pepper or kalimirch (a pinch)
- A few saffron or kesarstrands
The following ingredients are to be blended into a fine powder:
- Almonds or badam(1/4 cup)
- Poppy seeds or khus–khus (2 tbsp)
- Fennel seeds or saunf(2 tbsp)
- Cardamom or elaichipowder (1/2 tsp)
- 20 whole white peppercorns or kalimirch
- Combine the prepared powder and milk in a deep bowl, mix well using a whisk and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Strain the mixture through a strainer, add the sugar, pepper powder and saffron and mix well.
- Pour equal quantities of the thandai into the glasses and serve chilled.
So enjoy a cool and refreshing Thandai this summer and delve into a heavenly experience. Try Onyyx Thandai!